25. June 2023 - Mt. SNÆFELL
The Icelandic summer night is without a doubt one of the most amazing things to experience in life. The sound is different and it smells like magic. In this atmosphere we will summit the King of the Icelandic Mountains, Snæfell, 1833 m.
Mt. Snæfell is an ancient volcano, the highest freestanding mountain in Iceland. It stands on the plain of Eyjabakkar, within the Vatnajökull National Park.
We depart from Egilsstaðir at 20:00 and we drive via Fljótsdalur to the beginning of the hiking trail which is in 1000 m. The route is suitable for most mountaineers and alternates steep and comfortable sections. At mid summer it is usually still covered with snow and it can be cold on the top. The view from the peak of Snæfell is hard to top.
On the way back we stop at Laugarfell highland hostel, where we have breakfast and immerse ourselves in wonderful natural pools with a view of our summit.
We expect to end this wonderful night trip in Egilsstaðir at 11:00 in the morning.
Elevation: 1,030 m.
Trip difficulty level: 3/5
We hike in small groups, 10-20 people.
Included in the price:
Departure from N1 shop in Egilsstaðir, Sunday evening 25th of June at 20:00.
The bright summer nights are on from mid April until mid July, feel free to contact us for a private night tour!
What to bring:
In the backpack
- Backpack cover / plastic bag inside the backpack
- A good packed lunch for the night
- Walking snacks such as dried fruits, chocolate and nuts
- Full water bottle
- Thermos with cocoa, tea or coffee
- Trekking poles
- Camera and binoculars
- Pocket knife
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Band-aid, bandage and painkiller
- Toilet paper, disinfectant wipes / gels and small plastic bags for used paper
- Hat, mittens and buff around the neck
- Good mood and maybe something else that you think is essential!